Monday, March 30, 2015

Ina Coolbrith and Russian Hill: A Tragedy by illustrator Cal Tabuena-Frolli


While working on the final edits of my new biography, Ina Coolbrith: The Bittersweet Song of California's First Poet Laureate (order on Amazon or Barnes & Noble) I got a call from illustrator Cal Tabuena-Frolli, a talented graphic designer and contributor to The Litography Project. (As a geographer, I felt an immediate kinship to this project of place that documents the literary history and culture of the Bay Area.)

Tabuena-Frolli said Coolbrith had kindled his imagination and he wanted to illustrate a story about her for The Litography Project. We talked for a long time and I sent him the pre-press copy of my book. He put together a wonderful graphic novel of Ina's experiences relating to the Great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake and Fire.